School Policy FAQs

Where can I obtain a copy of your School Policies?
All school policies are located in the Student Handbook found in the front pages of the student planner. An electronic copy of this document is available.

Does Dana have a dress code?
Yes. Please follow this link to view our Dress Code FAQ.

I want to call/text my child when they are in class. What is the SDUSD cell phone policy?
On December 9, 2003, the Board of Education approved Policy H-6980, which outlines the rules for student possession and use of cellular phones, pagers and other electronic signaling devices on school campuses, on school buses and at school-sponsored activities, while under the supervision and control of school district employees.

All students may use these devices on campus before school begins and after school ends. Students in high school grades 9-12 also may use such devices during the lunch period.
These devices must be kept out of sight and turned off during the instructional program.

Unauthorized use of such devices disrupts the instructional program and distracts from the learning environment. Therefore unauthorized use is grounds for confiscation of the device by school officials, including classroom teachers. Repeated unauthorized use of such devices may lead to disciplinary action. Please view our discipline policy for additional details.

The school does not take responsibility for the loss, damage, or theft of cell phones. We do not recommend cell phones be brought to school. If your child chooses to do so, they must be stored in their backpack and secured with a lock.

How do I find information about student fees?
Recently the issue of fees, charges, deposits, donations and fundraising related to courses and activities has been at the forefront of public attention locally and nationally. The District Legal Services has a guide for District staff and parents, with the twin goals of school-community cooperation to support programs and legal compliance while providing that support. Taken as a whole, the intent of this Guidance is to emphasize that the question is not whether schools and their communities can raise money to support programs - they can - but how funds can be raised through lawful means. You can visit the district's comprehensive website by clicking on this link.

The Constitution of the State of California requires that we provide a public education to students free of charge. A student's right to a free education is for all school/educational activities, whether curricular or extracurricular, and whether a student gets a grade for the activity or class. Subject to certain exceptions, a student's right to a free public education means that we cannot require you or your students to purchase materials, supplies, equipment or uniforms for any school activity, nor can we require you or your student to pay security deposits for access, participation, materials, or equipment. Your school may require students to attend a fundraising event; however, if they are unable to raise funds for the event, we cannot prevent students from participating in an educational activity.

These exceptions are:

  • Charges for optional attendance as a spectator at a school or District sponsored activity.
  • Charges for food served to students, subject to free and reduced price meal program eligibility and other restrictions specified in law.
  • Paying the replacement cost for District books or supplies loaned to a student that the student fails to return, or that is willfully cut, defaced or otherwise injured, up to an amount not to exceed $10,000.
  • Fees for field trips and excursions in connection with courses of instruction or school related social, educational, cultural, athletic, or school band activities, as long as no student is prevented from making the field trip or excursion because of lack of sufficient funds.
  • Medical or hospital insurance for field trips that is made available by the school district.
    Charges for required medical and accident insurance for athletic team members, so long as there is a waiver for financial hardship.
  • Charges for standardized physical education attire of a particular color and design, but the school may not mandate that the attire be purchased from the school and no physical education grade of a student may be impacted based on the failure to wear standardized apparel "arising from circumstances beyond the control" of the student.
  • Charging for the parking of vehicles on school grounds.
  • Charges for the rental or lease of personal property needed for District purposes, such as caps and gowns for graduation ceremonies.
  • Fees for school camp programs, so long as no student is denied the opportunity to participate because of nonpayment of the fee.
  • Reimbursement for the direct cost of materials provided to a student for property the student has fabricated from such materials for his/her own possession and use, such as wood shop, art, or sewing projects kept by the student.
  • Reimbursement for the actual cost of duplicating public records, student records, or a prospectus of the school curriculum.
  • Fees for transportation to and from school, and transportation between school and regional occupational centers, programs or classes, as long as the fee does not exceed the statewide average nonsubsidized cost per student and provided there is a waiver provision based on financial need.
  • Fees for transportation of pupils to places of summer employment.
  • Tuition fees charged to pupils whose parents are actual and legal residents of an adjacent foreign country or an adjacent state.
  • Tuition fees collected from foreign students attending a District school pursuant to an F-1 visa, equal to the full unsubsidized per capita cost of providing education during the period of attendance.
  • Fees for an optional fingerprinting program for kindergarten or other newly enrolled students, if the fee does not exceed the actual costs associated with the program.
  • Fees for community classes in civic, vocational, literacy, health, homemaking, and technical and general education, not to exceed the cost of maintaining the community classes.
  • Deposits for band instruments, music, uniforms and other regalia which school band members take on excursions to foreign countries.
  • Charges for eye safety devices, at a price not to exceed the district's actual costs, in specified courses or activities in which students are engaged in, or are observing, an activity or the use of hazardous substances likely to cause injury to the eyes.
What should I do when my child forgot his/her........?
Children may forget to take their lunch, homework, textbook, or jacket to school. Parents delivering a forgotten item to their child should report to the main office. We will collect the item and have it delivered to your child prior to the end of the school day. To expedite the check-in process, It would be helpful if you knew your child's schedule. Unfortunately the office staff may not have the resources necessary to immediately deliver your item for you.


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.